My Background: Bob Thompson, MSE, NBCOT, OTR
My Background: Bob Thompson, MSE/OTR; National Board Certified
I joined the School Distict of the Menomonie Area (SDMA) as a staff occupational therapist in 1992. Prior to that I was contracted by Boyceville School District from 1989 to 1992. Previous experiences to school-based occupational therapy services have included:
- Faculty O.T. postition at UW-Stout in The Center for Rehabilitation Technology.
- Clinical therapist for MedRehab at the Dunn County Health Care Center, providing occupational therapy interventions for home health, skilled nursing rehab, and programming for the developmentally/physically challenged.
- Clinical therapist at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, Maine, providing skilled nursing rehab, inpatient acute rehab, outpatient rehab, and pediatrics occupational therapy intervention.
I was raised on a 400 acre dairy farm near Hollandale, Wisconsin. I attended UW-Madison, graduating with my Bachelor's Degree in Occupational Therapy in 1980. I received my Master of Science in Education from UW-Stout in 1996. My specialty areas include developmental hand therapy, school-based assistive technology, and functional-based approaches to occupational performance needs in a school setting. I have chaired the SDMA Assistive Technology Committee, am a member of the SDMA Autism Team, and past-Rep of the PK-12 Special Education Representative to the District's Student Achievement Council. I am also on the Northwest Region Wisconsin Assistive Technology Leadership Council. Additional leadership roles in SDMA include; Representative to the SDMA Health/Medical Insurance Commmittee overseeing the Menomonie District Self-funded Health Insurance Plan & Co-President of the Menomonie Education Association .
I currently provide direct and/or collaborative consultation interventions at the Middle School & High School; Wakanda, Oaklawn, & Knapp Elementary Schools. If sites through the Early Childhood Special Education Pre-school Options are determined to be appropriate for a student(s), then occupational therapy intervention also includes pre-schools and 4K sites in the Menomonie community.
I am married and have 2 adult children (daughter and son) and 2 adult stepchildren (son and daughter) and 1 step granddaughter. My interests include: reading, cooking, gardening, organizational simplicity, biking, walking, and photography.
Certifications for occupational therapy practice include:
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT); Certification #: AA422907
- Department of Public Instruction (DPI); License # 812 PK-12 Occupational Therapy
- State of Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing: Credential # 127-26
Memberships for occupational therapy practice include:
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT)
- The American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
- The Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association (WOTA)
- AOTA School-Based Practice Special Interest Section
- AOTA Sensory Integration Special Interest Section
- AOTA Developmental Disabilities Special Interest Section
Additional Professional Memberships include:
- National Education Association (NEA)
- Wisconsin Education Association (WEA)
- West Central Education Association (WCEA)
- District Schools
- District Departments
- Staff Services
- School Board